21. C and D are sisters. A and B are brothers. E is son of A and brother of D. B is related to C as
(A) Brother (B) Son
(C) Uncle (D) Father-in-law
22. Anil played 8 cricket matches. The mean (average) of the runs was found to be 80. After playing four more matches, the mean of the runs of all the matches was found to be 70. The total runs made in the last four matches is
(A) 400 (B) 300
(C) 200 (D) 100
23. If two propositions are connected in such a way that they cannot both be false although they may both be true, then their relationship is called
(A) Contrary (B) Subcontrary
(C) Contradictory (D) Subalternation
24. Which one among the following is not a characteristic of a deductive type of argument ?
(A) The conclusion follows from the premise/premises necessarily.
(B) The argument admits degree of complexity.
(C) The argument provides us knowledge about matters of fact.
(D) The argument must be either valid or invalid.
25. Select the code which states the condition of an invalid deductive argument :
(A) All the premises are true but the conclusion is false.
(B) Some of the premises are true but the conclusion is false.
(C) All the premises are false and the conclusion is also false.
(D) All the premises are true and the conclusion is also true.
26. Given below are two premises, with four conclusions drawn from them (taking singly or together); which conclusions are validly drawn ? Select the correct answer from the codes given below :
Premises : (i) All bats are mammals.
(ii) Birds are not bats.
Conclusions : (a) Birds are not mammals.
(b) Bats are not birds.
(c) All mammals are bats.
(d) Some mammals are bats.
(A) (a), (b) and (d) (B) (b) and (d)
(C) (a) and (c) (D) (b), (c) and (d)
27. When a definition implies a proposal to use the definiendum to mean what is meant by the definiens it is called
(A) Lexical definition (B) Stipulative definition
(C) Precising definition (D) Persuasive definition
28. Select the code which is not correct :
An analogical argument is strengthened by
(A) increasing the number of entities.
(B) increasing the number of similar respects.
(C) reducing the claim made earlier stronger.
(D) making the conclusion stronger when premises remain unchanged.
Consider the following two tables (I and II) that show the percentage of students in each faculty at University and the number of foreign students in the Science faculty. These percentages have been rounded to the nearest whole number. There are a total of 1049 students in the science faculty. Study these tables I and II and answer the questions that follow (Questions 29 – 31):
29. Approximately, what percentage of students in the Science faculty is that of foreign students ?
(A) 14% (B) 9%
(C) 30% (D) 11%
30. Approximately, how many students belong to the Engineering faculty ?
(A) 420 (B) 410
(C) 390 (D) 400
31. In case, there are 34 European medical students, then approximately, what is their percentage in the medicine faculty ?
(A) 13% (B) 18%
(C) 12% (D) 15%