31. Assembler program is:
(A) dependent on the operating system
(B) dependent on the compiler
(C) dependent on the hardware
(D) independent of the hardware
32. In the indirect addressing scheme, the second part of an instruction contains:
(A) the operand in decimal form
(B) the address of the location where the value of the operand is stored
(C) the address of the location where the address of the operand is stored
(D) the operand in an encoded form
33. At the end of parsing,
(A) tokens are identified.
(B) set of instructions are identified.
(C) the syntactic groups are identified.
(D) machine instructions are identified.
34. Dead-code elimination in machine code optimization refers to:
(A) removal of all labels.
(B) removal of values that never get used.
(C) removal of function which are not involved.
(D) removal of a module after its use.
35. A parse tree is an annotated parse tree if:
(A) it shows attribute values at each node.
(B) there are no inherited attributes.
(C) it has synthesized nodes as terminal nodes.
(D) every non-terminal nodes is an inherited attribute.
36. An example of a non-preemptive CPU scheduling algorithm is:
(A) Shortest job first scheduling.
(B) Round robin scheduling.
(C) Priority scheduling.
(D) Fair share scheduling.
37. There are ‘n’ processes in memory. A process spends a fraction ‘p’ of its time waiting for I/O to complete. The CPU utilization is given by:
(A) pn (B) 1-pn
(C) (1-p)n (D) 1-np
38. An example of a memory management system call in UNIX is:
(A) fork. (B) mmap.
(C) sigaction. (D)execve.
39. With 64 bit virtual addresses, a 4KB page and 256 MB of RAM, an inverted page table requires:
(A) 8192 entries. (B) 16384 entries.
(C) 32768 entries. (D) 65536 entries.
40. A computer has 6 tape drives with ‘n’ processes competing for them. Each process may need two drives. For which values of ‘n’ is the system deadlock free ?
(A) 1 (B) 2 (C) 3 (D) 6
41. Water fall model for software development is:
(A) a top down approach.
(B) a bottom up approach.
(C) a sequential approach.
(D) a consequential approach.
42. In software development, value adjustment factors include the following among others:
(A) the criticality of the performance and reusability of the code.
(B) number of lines of code in the software.
(C) number of technical manpower and hardware costs.
(D) time period available and the level of user friendliness.
43. While designing the user interface, one should:
(A) use as many short cuts as possible.
(B) use as many defaults as possible.
(C) use as many visual layouts as possible.
(D) reduce the demand on short-term memory.
44. In software cost estimation, base estimation is related to:
(A) cost of similar projects already completed.
(B) cost of the base model of the present project.
(C) cost of the project with the base minimum profit.
(D) cost of the project under ideal situations.
45. In clean room software engineering:
(A) only eco-friendly hardware is used.
(B) only hired facilities are used for development.
(C) correctness of the code is verified before testing.
(D) implementation is done only after ensuring correctness.
46. Amdahl’s law states that the maximum speedup S achievable by a parallel computer with ‘p’ processors is given by:
(A) S≤f+(1-f)/p (B) S≤f/p+(1-f)
(C) S≤1/[f+(1-f)/p] (D) S≤1/[1-f+f/p]
47. With reference to cluster analysis in data mining, a distance measure that is NOT used is:
(A) Euclidean distance. (B) Manhattan distance.
(C) Chebychev’s distance. (D) Lee distance.
48. In a mobile communication system, a geographic region is divided into cells. For each frequency set, there is a buffer ............... wide where that frequency is not used.
(A) one-cell (B) two-cells
(C) three-cells (D) four-cells
49. Identify the incorrect statement:
(A) The overall strategy drives the e-commerce data warehousing strategy.
(B) Data warehousing in an e-commerce environment should be done in a classical manner.
(C) E-commerce opens up an entirely new world of web servers.
(D) E-commerce security threats can be grouped into three major categories.
50. Identify the incorrect statement:
(A) The ATM adaptation layer is not service dependent.
(B) Logical connections in ATM are referred to as virtual channel connections.
(C) ATM is a streamlined protocol with minimal error and flow control capabilities.
(D) ATM is also known as cell relay.