51. Consider an imaginary disk with 40 cylinders. A request come to read a block on cylinder 11. While the seek to cylinder 11 is in progress, new requests come in for cylinders 1, 36, 16, 34, 9 and 12 in that order. The number of arm motions using shortest seek first algorithm is
(A) 111 (B) 112
(C) 60 (D) 61
52. An operating system has 13 tape drives. There are three processes P1, P2 & P3. Maximum requirement of P1 is 11 tape drives, P2 is 5 tape drives and P3 is 8 tape drives. Currently, P1 is allocated 6 tape drives, P2 is allocated 3 tape drives and P3 is allocated 2 tape drives. Which of the following sequences represent a safe state ?
(A) P2 P1 P3 (B) P2 P3 P1
(C) P1 P2 P3 (D) P1 P3 P2
53. Monitor is an Interprocess Communication (IPC) technique which can be described as
(A) It is higher level synchronization primitive and is a collection of procedures, variables, and data structures grouped together in a special package.
(B) It is a non-negative integer which apart from initialization can be acted upon by wait and signal operations.
(C) It uses two primitives, send and receive which are system calls rather than language constructs.
(D) It consists of the IPC primitives implemented as system calls to block the process when they are not allowed to enter critical region to save CPU time.
54. In a distributed computing environment, distributed shared memory is used which is
(A) Logical combination of virtual memories on the nodes.
(B) Logical combination of physical memories on the nodes.
(C) Logical combination of the secondary memories on all the nodes.
(D) All of the above
55. Equivalent logical expression for the Well Formed Formula (WFF),
(A) "x (~F[x]) (B) ~($x) F[x]
(C) $x (~F[x]) (D) "x F[x]
56. An A* algorithm is a heuristic search technique which
(A) is like a depth-first search where most promising child is selected for expansion
(B) generates all successor nodes and computes an estimate of distance (cost) from start node to a goal node through each of the successors. It then chooses the successor with shortest cost.
(C) saves all path lengths (costs) from start node to all generated nodes and chooses shortest path for further expansion.
(D) none of the above
57. The resolvent of the set of clauses
(A Ú B, ~A Ú D, C Ú ~B) is
(A) A Ú B (B) C Ú D
(C) A Ú C (D) A Ú D
58. Match the following :
a. Script i. Directed graph with labelled nodes for graphical representation of knowledge
b. Conceptual Dependencies ii. Knowledge about objects and events is stored in record-like structures consisting of slots and slot values.
c. Frames iii. Primitive concepts and rules to represent natural language statements
d. Associative Network iv. Frame like structures used to represent stereotypical patterns for commonly occurring events in terms of actors, roles, props and scenes
a b c d
(A) iv ii i iii
(B) iv iii ii i
(C) ii iii iv i
(D) i iii iv ii
59. Match the following components of an expert system :
a. I/O interface i. Accepts user’s queries and responds to question through
b. Explanation module ii. Contains facts and rules about the domain
c. Inference engine iii. Gives the user, the ability to follow inferencing steps at any time during consultation
d. Knowledge base iv. Permits the user to communicate with the system in a natural way
a b c d
(A) i iii iv ii
(B) iv iii i ii
(C) i iii ii iv
(D) iv i iii ii
60. A computer based information system is needed :
I. as it is difficult for administrative staff to process data.
II. due to rapid growth of information and communication technology.
III. due to growing size of organizations which need to process large volume of data.
IV. as timely and accurate decisions are to be taken.
Which of the above statement(s) is/are true ?
(A) I and II
(B) III and IV
(C) II and III
(D) II and IV